Someone once asked me, “Kyle, what’s your favorite holiday?”
I said “Esri User Conference.”
Over 16,000 GIS professionals from around the world will gather in San Diego for the Esri UC next week. Those attending will network with peers from the global GIS community, learn new methods and techniques in hundreds of sessions and technical trainings, and engage with trusted experts and solution providers.
Where can I find Kyle next week?
I will be focusing on sessions related to ArcGIS Online, state and local government solutions, Portal for ArcGIS, ArcGIS for Server, spatial analysis and visualization, and mobile technologies. You can find me there!
Can we watch Kyle present at Esri UC?
Yes! I will be engaged in UC galleries and interest group activities. The Map Gallery will feature a map and a poster for an app that I created and submitted to Esri. You can find me at the Map Gallery Reception to learn more about them!
I will also have an ArcGIS Pro project on display in the ArcGIS Pro Interactive Map Wall. I will be informally presenting this project on Tuesday between 12:00pm and 1:30pm.
Where can I connect with Kyle?
You can find me at the Young Professional Network (YPN) events, the 5k Fun Run, the Exhibit Hall, and the SAG/GIS Awards Ceremony, where one of my clients will be the very deserving recipient of a SAG award! I will also be at numerous interest groups and social functions.
What are your top tips for the UC, Kyle?
There are so many great things to remember that listing them all would be nearly impossible. Here are some things that come to mind right away, though:
- Get your gear early! The Esri Bookstore sells out fast, so visit it early to load up on apparel, novelty items, and other goods.
- Find a seat at the plenary: People like me like to sit towards the front and center. Be prepared to arrive early and wait for the doors to open to get a seat that doesn’t require binoculars to see Jack. Bring coffee, too!
- Start with a good breakfast. The Broken Yolk Café has a great, simple breakfast menu for very appropriate prices.
- Lunch at SIGs. Many special interest groups serve lunch, or check out Tin Fish across the street from the convention center.
- Social events. There are social events happening throughout the conference and in the evenings. They also have food ranging from appetizers to full plate meals.
What’s the ONE THING you should do at the UC?
My biggest recommendation is to meet people. There are thousands of GIS professionals from all parts of the industry – and the planet – gathered in one place. The connections you make can be of exceptional value, both professionally and personally.
The Esri UC ranks among the most exhilarating and valuable events of my professional career. I can hardly wait to descend upon San Diego and soak up the experience once again.
See you at the UC!
September 13, 2019
September 13, 2019
August 13, 2019
August 7, 2019