The Esri UC 2016 brought together 16,000 GIS professionals from around the world to introduce new and enhanced products and capabilities, exchange ideas, recognize achievements amongst the mapping community, and celebrate the difference GIS is making on a global scale. As always, we enjoyed connecting with many of our clients at the UC and hope you enjoyed the conference if you were able to make it to San Diego.
At such a landmark gathering, new information abounds and overwhelms, and digesting it to discover what is most relevant for each of us takes time and energy! Pro-West addresses some of the highlights and issues that relate most closely to the organizations we work with.
Big Picture Takeaways
The biggest takeaway from the whole Esri UC 2016 is on seeing ArcGIS as a complete web GIS platform – a system for managing and applying geographic information that supports individuals, organizations, and communities. It can be deployed on-premise or online, or a hybrid of both.
Of course, one of the biggest highlights of Esri UC 2016 for Pro-West was seeing our client, Racine County, WI, take home an Esri Special Achievement in GIS (SAG) Award. Congratulations to Racine on a well-deserved award in recognition of a stellar team effort on a truly transformative project.
Esri is heavily focused on ArcGIS Pro, which will eventually replace ArcMap. Pro integrates with ArcGIS Online and Portal and requires a named user license, and saw its newest version, ArcGIS Pro 1.3, release shortly after the UC. ArcGIS Pro 1.4 is expected in early 2017, with the release of ArcMap 10.4.1 due later this year or early 2017. Esri supports software for 6 years following a release, so ArcMap versions coming out in 2017 will receive support – though possibly not enhancements – until 2023.
Some new ArcGIS Pro features worth highlighting:
- Ability to add KML layers to maps and scenes
- Image Classification Wizard, which guides through the classification process efficiently
- Ability to add vector tile layers to maps and scenes
- Line charts – ability to visualize change over a continuous range such as time or distance
- If you are editing in the parcel fabric, look out for updates from Pro-West when ArcGIS Pro is “fabric ready”
- Download Pro and work with it in tandem with ArcMap
- Look out for and attend a Pro-West ArcGIS Pro workshop or contact us to see if Pro is right for you and the tasks you need to address
- Revisit your named user license strategy and plan for the future
Esri Imagery Updates
Esri has partnered with DigitalGlobe to update the World Imagery Basemap with accurate, high-resolution imagery for the entire world. Updates will begin later this year. Pro-West will keep you informed as more exact timings become available – look out for updates.
On-Premise App Templates
- Tax Parcel Viewer
- Election Results
- Land Use Public Notification
- My Government Services
If you are using or considering using one of these templates, contact Pro-West for information on future Esri replacements or simple tools we have developed that may meet your needs.
Benefits of the update to on-premise app templates include simpler deployment, scalability, and ArcGIS Online maintenance updates. All solutions and configurable apps may still be downloaded and hosted on-premise.